Sunday, December 13, 2009

Real Hero's

I don't know if it is just the close proximity to Christmas, or if my big, mushy heart has expanded tenfold in the last month, but I have been absolutely overwhelmed with the response to Operation RHYSpirit. The people who work with the children's oncology units have been nothing short of amazing; next to the kids themselves, these people are REAL hero's. I cannot imagine a job as difficult, yet so completely rewarding as working with sick kids every day & yet they'll still give you 100% of their attention to outside projects such as ours.

In a short time through phone calls & emails, I have been given a glimpse into a completely different world from which I live, one filled with pain & sadness, but endless strength & a real sense of HOPE. I could not do their job, I know that without a doubt, but I am so grateful there are so many people who can & do, and do it with all of their hearts.

I have been hugging my kids a little tighter since beginning this project, saying "I love you" more often, even enjoying the frigid cold winter air on my face every chance I get; simply enjoying LIFE more. Who knew that a "giving back" project would actually end up being such a gift to my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment